Thursday, May 15, 2008

Signing Time!

Have you ever thought about doing sign language with your children? I started introducing sign language to my children when they were about 15 months old. My good friend Lorrie offered me her set of Signing Time videos and I was instantly hooked. I was not very skilled in sign language so I learned right along with my kids using the Signing Time videos. Sign language really helped my children communicate more effectively with me and took away a lot of frustration during those years when they were still learning to verbalize.
Scientific studies have shown that “typical” children who learn to sign have higher IQ scores, are better adjusted and read at an earlier age. My four year old twins still love to watch Signing Time. I actually really enjoy it too. Signing Time makes sign language fun, entertaining and very easy to learn. I highly recommend giving Signing Time a try whether you are a mom with a baby, toddler or preschooler. Signing Time would also be great to use in a preschool or Kindergarten classroom. I took a sign language class for adults several years ago but I discovered that I actually learned more from Signing Time than I did in my class and watching Signing Time was way more fun! If you would like to find out more about Signing Time check out their site: The Official Signing Time Store! .
*Disclosure: Due to our positive experience with the Signing Time videos we have decided to partner with them as an advertiser. Clicking on the links or ads here will also benefit Lesson Plans Plus. Thanks!

Stumble Upon Toolbar Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Melissa said...

we LOVE the signing time videos. I am a childcare provider as well as a mother to 4. I have used it with my children and the children I care for. The videos are the best way to learn sign language. And like you I took sign language in college. But I felt like I learned and retained more knowlege from the signing time videos than from my college course!