Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fourth of July Treats!

My sister's birthday is on July 4th and every year we have a family get together for a combined holiday / birthday celebration.  My girls and I are making cupcakes.  I was thinking of doing either red, white and blue cupcakes or a flag cake.   I did some searching and found the best of both worlds, a cupcake flag cake!  So easy and cute!   Cupcake Flag Cake.  

Another cute and easy idea that would be fun for little kitchen helpers is Red, White and Blue Strawberries.  Instead of using white chocolate, you could substitute yogurt instead.  Of course, the yogurt would not harden and you would need to keep it cold.

When I was growing up, my grandma used to make a fun flag cake each Fourth of July.  It was so easy and cute.   She made a white cake, frosted it with whipped cream and then used blueberries and strawberries to make it look like the USA flag.    I was always so impressed with that cake as a child :)  It looked a lot like this flag cake.

My kids and I went sweet cherry picking a couple of days ago and we are also making sweet cherry muffins today.  We'll eat them for breakfast Fourth of July morning.  I'm going to try this cherry muffin recipe.  We're not going to add blueberries this time but I was just thinking you could make them more festive by adding blueberries too.

For those of you celebrating America's birthday, have a fun and safe Independence Day! 

Stumble Upon Toolbar Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: