Thursday, September 27, 2012

Kid's Favorite Homemade Potato Soup!

My kids really like my homemade potato soup so I thought I would share my recipe here.  It's a great way to get them to eat a bunch of vegetables.  I've been enjoying the cooler soup weather lately :)  I rarely measure anything but I'll do my best to give you a good idea of how to make my soup.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients:
Two large carrots peeled and chopped
About 12 medium to large potatoes peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery rinsed and chopped
Dried Parsley
Favorite seasoning if desired  (I like Zehnder's chicken seasoning)
Salt and pepper
Cream cheese (I use about 2 Tablespoons of Fat Free)
Milk (I use about 1/2 cup of 2% milk)
Butter (about 2 Tablespoons)
Chicken Broth (32 oz)
One small onion (chopped)
Yellow bell pepper (you could omit this, I normally don't put it in but I had about 1/4 of a pepper that needed to be used and it turned out to be a nice addition)
Shredded cheddar cheese (I used a couple handfuls)


Directions:
Wash, peel & chop all veggies and add to a cooking pot.  Pour chicken seasoning and milk over the veggies and add to stove top.  Sprinkle seasonings, herbs and add butter if desired.  Simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender enough to mash.  When mashing veggies, you may want to leave a few chunks.  I like ours this way.   After mashing, add desired amounts of cream cheese and cheddar cheese (this will help thicken the soup).  Enjoy!





















Stumble Upon Toolbar Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: